On The Right Track Career/College Exploration Program
What is On The Right Track?
Using vocational assessment, students will be grouped into small groups based upon their career track, functioning, and age. They will then engage in fun, hands-on activities, specific to that career track, designed to expose them to the soft and hard skills, postsecondary education, job market conditions, and availability of those careers. Specific activities include listening to guest speakers in their interest area, researching post-secondary degree options, and practicing interviewing and other needed soft skills for workplace success.
What do our students say about On The Right Track?
90% of students said they felt OTRT helped them identify their career/job interests!
92% of students said they felt OTRT would help them get a job!
97% of students said they enjoyed OTRT!
Data from Summer 2021 In-Person and Virtual Services in Texas, Nevada, and Wyoming
What criteria does each student need to meet to be eligible to attend?
- Students must be between the ages of 14-22, enrolled in Secondary or Post-Secondary Education, with a diagnosed disability.
- Students must be able to function in a small student group of up to 6 without a 1 on 1 aide.
- Students must have transportation to/from service each day, if service is not provided during the school day.
Is the camp for students who are college-bound?
- To meet the needs of all students, we offer the following curriculum tracks…
- A career track for lower-functioning students with limited reading ability who intend to enter the workforce directly.
- A career track for students who plan to enter the workforce directly or during/after a technical training program.
- A college track for intellectually higher functioning students who plan to pursue a college degree.
What are the qualifications of the staff leading the program?
- The service is staffed at a ratio of no more than 6 students to every 1 facilitator.
- Each location has a graduate-level camp coordinator who provides administrative, behavioral, staff, and curriculum support.
- All directors, coordinators, and facilitators undergo a full background check and training protocol prior to contact with any students or student information.
Can a participant attend for less than the full session?
No, a student must be able to attend the entire session.